Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Tequilla Sunrise Bundt Cake

Can you find the cupcake?
There is this party tomorrow that is for the celebration of the 4th of July. I'm not a person who really gets into decorating cakes for special occasions, like for example I do not care if the baked good I make is fitting with the color scheme of red, white and blue. I wanted to make a cake that was pretty, and  delicious.

I think that desserts are kind of like books, everyone says they aren't judging the book by its cover, when in reality how else are you supposed to judge the book as to whether or not you want to read it. People judge desserts by how they look before they decided if they want to eat it.

Strawberry Limoncello Poppy Seed Cupcakes
My teachers at school taught me that using blues and black colorings is a put off because they aren't naturally occurring colors, like in fruit. (yes there are blueberries and blackberries, but neither of them actually produce that color, such as when you smash a blackberry it doesn't ooze black juice, it comes out redish purple). With that being said, I did use some food coloring with this project, but it didn't turn out as I hoped it would.

This cake decided that it wanted to come out of the pan in pieces, so I'm keeping it to eat myself. I made some more Limoncello Poppy Seed Cupcakes but this time I used some strawberry yogurt because that is what I had to use. I would have retried the bundt cake if I had the supplies to make a second one, but alas I did not want to make another trip to the store.


Tequila Sunrise Bundt Cake
This recipe comes to you via Booze Infused Cakes book.
Can't tell much of a difference between the orange and red layers

Ingredients:
Maraschino cherries, well drained
3 tablespoons and 1/2 cup Tequila, divided
1 package yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup and 1 tablespoon orange juice concentrate, thawed, divided
1 teaspoon orange flavoring
Red food gel coloring (so you don't thin the batter)
3 to 5 tablespoons grenadine syrup
1 tablespoon sugar, sifted

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a bundt pan or other kind of pan if you desire. You can soak the cherries in 2 tablespoons of tequila, but I suggest not, I did not enjoy the tequila soaked cherries. In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, eggs, oil 3/4 cup orange juice concentrate, orange flavoring and 1/2 cup tequila. Mix until incorporated. Divide batter evenly between three bowls, (or I just took out a third at a time). A third of the batter is about 1 1/2 cups. Place a cherry in each of the grooves of the bundt pan, then pPour a third of the batter into the bundt pan before adding coloring. Add a little coloring to make it an orange color and pour a third on top of the plain batter. Add more coloring until it is a red color and pour into pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in cake comes out clean.
Just a picture of the fallen apart part

 

Remove the cake from the oven and drizzle the grenadine syrup on top, (go easy on the amount). Leave pan to cool for at least 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake onto wire rack and remove pan. (Let it cool more than ten minutes so it won't break apart since its still warm).  Whisk together 1 tablespoon each of orange juice concentrate, tequila and powdered sugar. Brush glaze over warm cake, let cool completely, and slice into wedges to serve. For my glaze I made it with just orange juice and powdered sugar and used more powdered sugar than a tablespoon, I made it a thicker glaze so that it would look cooler.  The picture in the book looked a lot more professional than the one that I have, and it actually looked more like a sunrise does.

No comments:

Post a Comment