Saturday, October 23, 2010

Neiman-Marcus

I actually have no idea what to title my blogs so I guess I'm just going to call it whatever the recipe of that day is.
Right now my life isn't that interesting. I'm not in the interesting classes, the classes that I choose Johnson and Wales University, I'm in the boring academic classes. The ones that make you do homework almost everyday. I miss the labs. The classes that you have to stand on your feet for six hours at a time and you get to bake and have fun.

The funny thing right now is probably my cat. She has become fascinated by medicine cups. I mean she just goes crazy over these little cups. She will climb up on the counter and steal the medicine cup to play with it.

I'm getting excited as more snow piles up on the mountains. I really love snowboarding. I can't explain why I love it so much seems how I'm not the greatest at it. I am also getting excited about going to Utah for Thanksgiving. I originally wanted to go for Christmas but my mom felt that she couldn't let me go for the big holiday. The reason that I wanted to go for Christmas is because my Grandma Jo has never had a Christmas with me. And I really love my Grandma Jo. I know it sounds weird that I have never had a Christmas with one of my Grandmas, but when you learn more about me and my history then you will understand. First off my Papa Eddie doesn't fly and my Grandma has never really been comfortable flying alone. And the reason why they would have to fly to visit me and my family is because up until last year my mom was in the military so we would move around a lot. Second for eight years my grandparents wouldn't even have been able to drive to see us since you can't drive over the ocean ( we lived in Germany from the time I was ten to the time I was eighteen). I have absolutely no idea why we didn't go visit my Grandma Jo for Christmas, but I guess it was maybe because its expensive to travel at the holidays? I don't know. But this year I get to go for Thanksgiving, which is something.

I know this blog is called My Life as a Baking and Pastry Student and I haven't spent much time talking about baking and pastry student life and that's because right now all of my baking is done at home and its not really a studying. But I think that maybe each time that I blog that I might share one of my favorite recipes with you guys. So this time I think that I am going to share my take on the Neiman-Marcus cookie recipe.
This recipe makes about 6 dozen cookies and can be halved very easily. This is the original and at the end will be my modifications.

2 cups butter, softened
4 cups flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 cups sugar
5 cups blended oatmeal
24 oz. chocolate chips
2 cups brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1 8 oz. Hershey Bar
4 eggs
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla extract.

Instead of the Hershey bar I buy a bag of mini or fun sized Snickers and I freeze them the night before.
Preheat oven to 375. Cream butter and sugars. Add the eggs and vanilla, mix in the flour, oatmeal, salt, baking soda, and baking powder. Add the chocolate chips. Use a food processor to chop the Snickers into really small tiny pieces. You can also either make them into bars as I do or bake them into original cookie shape. Original cookie shape would be baked at 375 for 10 minutes. And the balls should be placed two inches apart. In the bar shape I place the dough into an 8 x 10 inch pan and bake the pans for about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick come out clean and the cookies look golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment