Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Mess

Let me tell you that I make a mess every time I bake something at home, so it happens quite frequently. Tomorrow is the last day of clinicals for my mom, the teacher. I typically make her something to take to the nurses on the last day. Since I made the ultimate brownies, my mom wanted me to make them for the nurses, which brings me to the mess I made today. It has to be the mess of all messes.
For whatever reason I let my dad convince me that all the ingredients (I doubled the recipe so I could make four small pans), would fit into my 5 qt mixing bowl of my kitchen aide. He was really wrong with that. since I doubled the recipe it needed a dozen eggs and 8 cups of sugar, which I put into my bowl and allowed to mix which almost overflowed. I then took the largest mixing bowl that we have and put the flour and cocoa powder in it and filled that bowl up. I spill a bunch of cocoa powder in the process of trying to get it all mixed together. I eventually use the top off of a cake saver as a bowl and that was almost full of brownie mix. One thing that I have learned is how to mix things by hand with your hand, by this I mean sticking your hand into the batter and mixing it. The spatula I was using felt like it was going to break and its my favorite spatula, so I used something that is a lot harder to break.
After I am done actually making the brownies and putting them into the oven I start cleaning up. My mixing bowl (the one off my kitchen aide) was on the counter and got elbowed off. I tried to save it with my leg, since I didn't want to dent the bowl or the floor, it ended up getting some batter all over my leg and on the floor. Next I try to put away the ingredients. I have this habit of throwing my cocoa powder, it belongs on the top shelf of the cabinet, I'm too lazy to get the stool and put it away. Today the cover wasn't all the way on the container, so when I threw it and missed the cap came of. I spilled about half the container on my self, and everywhere else. Do you know how hard it is to clean up cocoa powder? It doesn't really like to be vacuumed up or mopped up. Its a bitch to clean up. I am pretty sure that this is the worst mess I've made in the kitchen, or in a long time at least.


Here is the recipe in case you want to make your own mess with it.
I got it from the website Like They Do. 

Brownies
  • 1 1/3 Cup All Purpose Flour
  • 2 Cups Cocoa Powder
  • 2 Teaspoons Salt
  • 6 Eggs
  • 4 Cups Sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
  • 1 Pound 8 Ounces Unsalted Butter, melted
  • 12 Ounces Chocolate Chips
Ganache
  • 4 Ounces Chocolate Chips
  • 2/3 Cups Cream
Method
Brownies
Sift together the flour and cocoa powder. Add the salt. Reserve.
Whip the eggs and sugar to ribbon (light in color and thick). Add the vanilla.
Fold the flour mixture and butter alternately into the whipped egg. Add the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into a parchment lined (or buttered and floured) 9×13 pan and bake at 350° for 35 minutes, less for a sheet pan.
Let cool.
Ganache
Place the chips in a bowl. Bring the cream just to a boil. Pour the cream over the chips and let sit for a couple minutes. Whisk the mixture together.
I use butter and flour on my pans since I pour the ganache onto the brownies in the pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment